Sunday, September 17, 2023

Bread of Life

 For nearly fifteen years, one of my weekly routines has been the two-day process of baking a pair of sourdough bread loaves.  It starts on Saturday afternoon, as I feed my decades-old sourdough culture.  I then divide it and return part to the fridge for use next week.  The rest I feed and mix again and then let  ferment overnight.  On Sunday, the ritual of kneading, rising, forming, rising again, and final baking takes place.  When it's all done, I have two delicious loaves of natural sourdough bread, free from chemicals and preservatives found in storebought bread.  It's bread in its simplest form: King Arthur flour, water, salt, and a pinch of sugar.  During the height of the pandemic, many people took up baking as a hobby, leaving flour supplies for established bakers like me worryingly scarce.  But that's now in the past, and each Sunday the house is filled with the enticing aroma of fresh baked bread.

Sourdough bread


No comments:

Post a Comment