Saturday, September 16, 2023

Old School

I've always been a person who leans toward the anachronism.  Even as a working scientist, someone who ostensibly is involved with new and developing aspects of human endeavors, I remain fascinated by things of the past.  Of history, of traditional techniques, and of all things old-school.  One example is my long running hobby: Postcrossing.  This is a postcard exchange system in which members send and receive postcards from other members from all around the world.  The whole thing is organized via a fairly sophisticated web site, but the actual postcards travel by postal mail systems of the various member countries.  I've enjoyed doing this for about ten years now.  And so, early mornings of most weekends, you'll find me at my desk at home, writing postcards and registering the one I've received.  Postal mail is no longer a very common form of communication, but in those moments I spend each day with postcards, I daydream of an earlier, simpler version of life.  Slower, perhaps, but more intimate and connected.




No comments:

Post a Comment