Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Pizza Grace

 After months of good intentions, I finally paid a visit to a nearby pizza joint for a meal.  Pizza Grace may be located in a college town, but it's not your typical frat boy hangout.  Recently nominated for a James Beard Award, Pizza Grace offers authentic Neapolitan pizza made to exacting standards.  For my first visit, I tried the classic Margherita pizza made simply with marinara, mozzarella, extra virgin olive oil, and basil. I was not disappointed- the crust was astonishingly light and crispy, with the large, pillowy pockets - alveolatura - that are characteristic of a well made dough. The tomato marinara sauce was rich and aromatic, and the cheese dense and flavorful. A triumph of the pizza arts!

Pizza Grace Margherita

After such a dinner, an equally captivating dessert is needed, and to find it I needed go no further than next door to Cannella Gelato.  What better way to follow the classic Italian pizza than with Italian gelato?  Here I was on familiar ground, as I happen to know the proprietor and have observed his passion for his craft.  He's received training in Italy, and is constantly honing his skills.  Tonight, I sampled Stracciatella and it was a delight!  With the smooth, rich, creamy texture of authentic gelato, I enjoyed a vivid rush of delicate flavor.  It seems almost a divine intervention to situate these two complimentary shops next to each other.  Birmingham certainly lived up to its foodie reputation tonight.

Cannella Gelato Stracciatella


No comments:

Post a Comment