Saturday, September 30, 2023

The kindest cut

 Today is one of my most favorite days of the year.  With cool nights and a traditionally dry period of the year, my bermudagrass lawn is beginning to go into its annual dormant period.  That means today is probably the last lawn mowing of the season.  It's a chore I detest, and the prospect of a five month hiatus fills me with glee.  In Thornton Wilder's classic play, Our Town, the character of Mr. Webb takes great pride in caring for his modest lawn.  I, however, can only muster the enthusiasm to keep mine barely presentable.  It is a great tribute to the charity of my sole next-door neighbor that he has never complained about my unkempt landscape.  But today, using my trusty old John Deere, I will mow and trim it for the last time in many weeks, and will finally be content. 



No comments:

Post a Comment