Tuesday, October 31, 2023

It's in the mail 5

 When I was a very young child, one of my regular household chores was to mail letters for my parents.  It was my task to take them about a half block down the street from our suburban Chicago home to the blue collection box on the street corner.  And in the 50 or so years since, I've retained my fascination with postal mail.  Neighborhood mail boxes are much more rare nowadays, and the ones that exist are found in older neighborhoods.  This is one of them.  I passed it yesterday while on Morris Avenue in the center of Birmingham.  Morris Avenue is a relic- a cobblestone street in an old neighborhood of the city that has seen a recent resurgence.  New housing has sprung up nearby, taking varied forms from refurbished high-rise office buildings to newly constructed condos.  New restaurants and nightlife spots are popping up all over.  But while I was visiting one of the older, established businesses in the area, Alabama Peanut Company, I saw the box still standing by, awaiting mail deposits from all the nearby residences and businesses.




No comments:

Post a Comment