Sunday, November 5, 2023

Manhattan Project

 On a lazy, sunny afternoon in Fall, I always try to make the most of my waning weekend before the return to the rat race on Monday morning.  And today the relaxation regimen includes my favorite cocktail: the Manhattan.  I understand the famed tipple was invented in the 1870s at the Manhattan Club in New York City, and that its creation involved Jennie Jerome, notorious party gal and American mother of Winston Churchill.  I have enjoyed many variations of the cocktail - and especially enjoy a good Boulevardier - but I will always return with avidity to the classic. My preferred recipe uses 3 parts Knob Creek rye, 1 part sweet vermouth, 3 dashes angostura bitters all shaken with ice then strained into a Nick and Nora glass and garnished with a cherry.  Cheers!

Manhattan cocktail


No comments:

Post a Comment