Thursday, December 7, 2023

Top Tier

 For many decades, I have enjoyed collecting typewriters.  I have perhaps 30 machines in my collection, most in operating condition, and several over 100 years old.  While using them to write letters to friends and family, I often contemplate a simpler, pre-digital way of life.  Years when a written physical letter was yet a practical method of communication.  And when the physical, tangible letter was valued and appreciated.  Most of my typewriters represent the basic classes of machine, from small and light portable to big and sturdy standard desktop behemoth.  Nothing in my collection is especially rare or terrifically valuable, although there aren't many Oliver #5s in the world in as good of condition as mine.  But as a collector, I pale in comparison to several prominent collectors I know personally or by reputation.  Tops among these is Steve Soboroff, a collector of remarkable means, who has assembled a collection of especially noteworthy machines.  These are typewriters that have been owned by the famous and notorious, from Earnest Hemmingway to the Unibomber.  And after all that effort and money, I read today that Soboroff is selling his collection.  It will take someone who is especially well-off to acquire any or many of his typewriters.  You won't find these listed on Ebay, that's for sure.  But from here in the cheap seats of typewriter collector world, I will look on with admiration as these rare machines find new homes.

Steve Soboroff


No comments:

Post a Comment