Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Collections

 It is an irresistible urge in many people to collect...things.  Whatever primordial drive it is that leads people to collect objects of any description, it seems to be a fairly common one.  There is even a TV show devoted to examining the collections (in this case, mostly show business related) of extraordinarily devoted collectors.  I, myself, have previously covered my hobby-level collecting of typewriters- nothing that would earn any attention, much less a TV show appearance.  But I also collect books.  Primarily books I read, or intend to eventually read.  After reading them, I rarely part with them, so over a long-ish lifetime, there is now a sizable library in my home.  My "to be read" (TBR) list is long, and the plan has always been to whittle down this list in my retirement years, when I hope to have more time to devote to printed matter.  But then there are other books that I collect because they are collectable.  Rare, old, author autographed, or otherwise noteworthy, these join the household library because of some quality that makes them a special volume.  Sometimes these are also read, and sometimes they are merely admired for existing.  A recent NY Times article reassured me that I am not alone in my accumulation tendencies.  Thus affirmed, I expect I will go on adding to the library, to whatever end it is that I do this.  Collectors rarely have and end goal, I think, but engage in their hunt to accumulate for its own purposes.

So along those lines, my most recent addition is a travel book from Jack Chesher entitled London: A Guide for Curious Wanderers.  I really like the whimsical and historical anecdotes in this book, and the colorful illustrations.  I've been to London a couple times, and hopefully will return some day soon.  When I do, this book will go with me.



No comments:

Post a Comment