On this day in 1790, Treasury Secretary Alexander Hamilton convinced congress to fund the construction of ten small sailing vessels, revenue cutters, to enforce tax and customs fees in the newly created USA. This was the beginning of a maritime law enforcement service that would directly evolve into today's Coast Guard. Since then, the duties of the Coast Guard have changed and grown, and today it is also responsible for fisheries management, aids to navigation, lifesaving and rescue, and in wartime, various combat roles. After the American Revolution, the US Navy was disbanded only to be re-created in 1798, so the Coast Guard is America's oldest continual maritime service.
Also on this day, some 175 years later, I was created. So it is a coincidence that I myself had a short-lived and not entirely successful service in the Coast Guard. For me, last year was a landmark birthday, but this year, as with most of them, I indulge in a bit of retrospection. My life can no longer be called a short one, though I hope it lasts for a while yet. I was born in the midst of the early space race- in the middle of the Gemini program, when the USA finally surpassed the USSR in manned spaceflight achievements. And four-year-old me was around to sleep through man's first steps on the moon. (My talent for sleeping through major world events as they happened is considerable, with Princess Diana's death and OJ Simpson's slow speed car chase just to name a few.) My life has encompassed the space race, the Cold War, the Chernobyl accident, the digital revolution and birth of the internet, a major worldwide pandemic, and the utterly disastrous Trump presidency. So it's never been dull. And for more than the past 12 years (longer than Samuel Pepys), I've kept a daily personal journal to record and comment on world events, both large and small. I wonder if it will interest some historian in, say, a hundred years.
Anyway, Happy 236th birthday, US Coast Guard!

No comments:
Post a Comment