Friday, August 21, 2026

Let there be light


 For my second attempt at simple watercolor paintings, I turned to a popular subject: lighthouses.  For me, it's a fitting source of material as my favorite place in the country is New England where beautiful lighthouses abound.  Another connection is through my brief association long ago with the US Coast Guard, the agency long tasked with maintaining such aids to navigation.  So for this painting, I broke out a few additional colors of paint after the simple green leaf in my first effort.  And once again following the online step-by-step tutorial, I sketched the simple, stylistic lighthouse in pencil.  This work now attempted to incorporate some shadows and depth not found in the simple leaf, which I replicated with indifferent effect.  But I did gain some experience and begin to understand the application of watercolor paint to both dry and wet surfaces.  Certainly a learning experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment