Thursday, October 12, 2023

It's in the mail 2

 I came across another interesting mailbox recently.  This one is in an old neighborhood on the southside of Birmingham. There has been a mailbox here for many years, as long as I can remember.  But this particular one looks relatively new.  And when I got closer, I noticed a feature I've never seen before: the mail drop door had been replaced by a narrow slot.  This is, I gather, an anti-theft device, intended to combat the growing threat of mail fishing.  Yes, in 2023, people still send checks by mail often enough to attract thieves who steal the checks and forge them for their own use. Thieves can drop an object on a string with sticky adhesive attached to grab mail in a box and pull it out.  So the new slot, with pivoting metal fingers that form a one-way valve of sorts, effectively prevents this.  First time I've seen this device, though it appears to be more common in places like New York.  If it increases the security of mail, I'm all for it.



No comments:

Post a Comment