Friday, October 13, 2023

Roti

 

 It's not often that I discover something that later becomes a popular fad, but that's just what happened when I read this recent article in the NY Times.  It seems that the Asian flatbread called "roti" is growing in popularity.  For several years, I have used rotis as a staple in my meals, and have enjoyed the simple, yet versatile form of bread.  From a basic form made from water and whole wheat flour, to those flavored with various herb combinations, rotis can be used in sandwiches, wraps, or as a flatbread scoop for spreads, hummus, and a wide variety of bean and lentil dishes.

For the past four years, I have used a remarkable device called a Rotimatic to automatically make my rotis. It's a high-tech robot that uses AI to constantly adjust and improve the roti quality.  And for the most part, it works.  There are times when things go a little haywire, but the countertop device is connected to the internet through Wi-Fi, and the manufacturer can diagnose and fix problems remotely.  It's especially handy since rotis have a very short shelf life, so the ability to make them fresh on demand is essential.

No comments:

Post a Comment