Sunday, October 15, 2023

Just my type 2

 Continuing with featured typewriters, I present today's machine: a 1918 Underwood #4. This typewriter (serial #1065013) is perhaps the most meaningful of my collection, as it has been in the family the longest.  Family lore has it that my grandmother used it long ago to write a sort of community gossip column for her local newspaper.  I first became aware of the machine when it was on static display at my parent's Ozarks vacation house in the 1990s.  I inherited it soon thereafter and got it back into working condition.  Since then, it has served me well as a daily typer for my correspondence.  This model and it's more common #5 version were made in astonishingly large numbers and are a common typewriter even today.  They are remarkably hardy and with a little care can continue to be used into their second century.

Underwood #4


No comments:

Post a Comment