Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Last of Barset

 Next up on my audio book listening list is The Last Chronicle of Barset, by Anthony Trollope.  This is the last of the six-book series referred to as the Chronicles of Barsetshire, a loosely connected collection of novels dealing with the fictional cathedral town of Barchester.


This final book of the series deals primarily with the crime story mystery of a clergyman who is accused of stealing a check and pocketing the money.  But as with nearly all Trollope novels, there is also a love story of two star-crossed, mis-matched lovers.  Such seems to always be the case in Victorian love stories- a couple separated by social rank, or wealth, or education; something that makes the union an improbable one which they ultimately overcome.  This is not my first time through this novel, or indeed the entire Barsetshire series.  But it's one I enjoy even though I know how the crime mystery ends up.  A few years ago, I was able to visit the grave of the author, Anthony Trollope, in the gigantic Kensal Green Cemetery in London where he rests.  And I feel a special connection to his prolific body of works.




No comments:

Post a Comment