Friday, November 10, 2023

Doctor Thorne

 Next up on my audio book list is a repeat.  Doctor Thorne by Anthony Trollope is one of my favorite Victorian novels, and I've read/listened to it several times before.  But I return again to hear the cautionary tale of excessive alcohol use.  And of course, the common Victorian themes of class struggle, wealth vs. poverty, and mis-matched marriages.  Of the six Trollope novels that comprise the Chronicles of Barsetshire, this is probably the best.  Revelation of unexpected identities always spice up a plotline.  And then there's the brother's beatdown of a dude who stands up his sister.  Family above everything; same as it ever was.  I don't know what it is that makes me read or listen to some books over and over, compared those that are one-and-done, versus those I never finish.  But this one has now become like a comfortable sweater that I break out occasionally when only familiarity will do.



No comments:

Post a Comment