Tuesday, November 7, 2023

It's in the mail 6

 For today's mailbox, we stay close to home.  Specifically, the curbside mailboxes in the drive-through lane of my local post office.  Now, the Helena Post Office is, I think, more of a branch service center.  It offers many of the services one expects of a full-function post office, including post office boxes, counter service, and package collection.  But I sense that no real mail sorting or cancellations happen there.  Mail I send from here is actually sorted and postmarked at the major regional service center in Birmingham.  And tracking sometimes shows that incoming parcels I receive originate from the larger post office in nearby Alabaster.  Still, it is fortunate that this post office is so close to my home, and directly on my commute to work.  As the town of Helena, tiny when I moved here 25 years ago, has grown and spread out to the west, this post office is a long drive away for many city residents.  Some years ago, I had heard rumors of a second post office that was being planned for the distant west end of the city, but ongoing financial problems within the USPS seem to have ended that possibility.  Anyways, I routinely drop outgoing postcards and letters in these boxes, and from here they reach the far corners of the world.

Helena, Alabama Post Office


No comments:

Post a Comment