Thursday, November 2, 2023

Just my type 4

 As I mentioned before, I regularly type letters to family and friends to stay in touch in the old-fashioned, analog way.  But I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that the one typewriter in my collection that I use probably more than any other is this one - an Underwood 319.  Why embarrassed?  As a low-level, humble typewriter collector, I at least am aware that this machine does not earn much attention from serious collectors.  It's not rare, unique, old or interesting in any way that would tantalize a dedicated collector.  In fact, it's not really an Underwood.  The famed American company had passed into history when this machine was manufactured in the 1980s.  It was actually made in Spain by Olivetti, who had bought the rights to the Underwood name.  It is in fact an Olivetti Lettera 92, a rather unremarkable plastic-cased portable design.  Completely functional, and totally bland and uninteresting.  Some years ago, I did re-paint the shell to jazz up its appearance from the original beige putty color.  Yet, I use it mostly because it is close at hand, works well, and while it is over 40 years old it continues to function as designed.  I won't go so far as to draw any allusions between my life and this hum-drum, workaday, drab machine.  But I will call it dependable and reliable.

Typewriter: Underwood 319


No comments:

Post a Comment