Friday, December 22, 2023

Bah, Humbug

 I've previously mentioned the wonderful Dickens novel A Christmas Carol.  So great is the impact of this work on society that we've seen dozens of screen adaptations of the story over the decades.  I've seen most of them, and in my mind have long settled the question of the best of them:  the 1984 version, starring George C. Scott as Scrooge.  Compared to others, this is a very traditional treatment of the familiar story.  To those who've read the book, large passages of dialog will be familiar as traditional text.  The cinematography, casting, costumes, and sets are detailed and lavish in a traditional way.  This production has none of the gimmicks that others so often use to stand out in a crowded field of Carols.  But what it has is the superb acting of Mr. Scott; there has never been a better rendition of Dickens' character than his. I've always held this opinion of the movie, so I was pleasantly surprised to see an online article that reinforced my judgement.  Nice to have the affirmation.



No comments:

Post a Comment