Thursday, January 4, 2024

Classic style

 As my familiar New Years Resolution, I frequently resolve to spend more time reading.  This is not an activity that I must force myself to do.  Rather, I have to work to overcome the guilt I feel when reading for enjoyment, which usually brings thoughts about all the other household chores and obligations that I should instead be doing.  This year I renew my resolution to overcome this overwrought guilt and make time, no matter what, to read for the sake of relaxation and enjoyment.  To that end, I've nearly completed reading a literary classic I have long wanted to read:  Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson.  Those who haven't read this book will still be familiar with parts of it.  Everyone has heard of the novel's antagonist, Long John Silver.  And we all have heard the tune, "Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!" So this past week I have finally sat down to the classic pirate adventure and found it an entertaining yarn.  This volume was a Christmas gift from my dear wife, and is a limited edition from Easton Press, the firm that specializes in publishing older and classic books in very luxurious bindings.  Reading is fun, and even more so when the book is leather bound, gold-embossed, and comes in an equally beautiful slipcase.  As I've always said, extravagance in literature is no vice. While I have "read" many books via audiobook form, it's especially nice to immerse myself in the timeless ink-on-paper version. Here's to a productive year of reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment