Thursday, April 18, 2024

Weeks, not months

 As an avid fan of postal mail, I have traditionally held a positive opinion of the US Postal Service.  With its long and interesting history, it is now by far the largest postal system in the world.  Over 44% of the world's mail is processed by the USPS, and in 2022 the USPS delivered 127.3 billion (B, for BILLION) pieces of mail.  As an active postal customer for decades, I have recently seen delivery performance drop off noticeably.  Most obvious is my weekly typed letter to my mother, which I typically write on Sunday evenings, and is a sort of regular weekly update on my life.  Mailed on Monday morning from central Alabama, it would reliably reach her in suburban Chicago on Thursday.  Used to, anyway.  After a couple years of semi-annual rate hikes, the delivery performance has slowed considerably.  My letters now arrive on Friday on a good week.  The following Monday is quite common.  And parcels that I order from online stores that have tracking info clearly reveal the disgraceful state of USPS Priority Mail service.  This was once advertised as "2-day" service and usually lived up to the promise.  Now days, it's commonly four or five days.  Then, to further accentuate the decline, today I received a postcard sent to me by a relative from their vacation to the US Virgin Islands...that they mailed the week before last Christmas.  I'm not the only one who has noticed the abysmal state of mail service in this country.  Two days ago, USPS Postmaster General Louis DeJoy appeared before a congressional hearing to explain the poor performance of the service he oversees.  At the Senate hearing, Sen. Jon Ossoff (D-Ga.) excoriated Trump appointee DeJoy about his poor performance.

"You don't have months to fix 36 percent of mail being delivered on time," Ossoff countered. "I've got constituents with prescriptions that aren't being delivered. I've got constituents who can't pay their rent and their mortgage. I've got businesses who aren't able to ship products or receive supplies."

While I recognize few people today use the USPS for actual personal correspondence, it still provides a vital service for delivering documents and parcels to all parts of the country.  And as dismal as things may be right now, it could be worse.  But I certainly hope congressional pressure will drive DeJoy to improve the situation, or failing that, remove him and replace him with someone who can.



No comments:

Post a Comment