Sunday, June 30, 2024

The book ration has been increased


 As much as I enjoy chocolate, my passion for books is far stronger.  So the library collection grew once again this week as I received my signed, numbered copy of 1984, by George Orwell.  As I mentioned a few days ago, this is a special limited edition volume published by The Folio Society on the 75th anniversary of the first release of the novel.  Despite its scandalously inflated price, I couldn't resist ordering my own copy of a book that means so much to me.  Even though my recent experiences with various shipping services such as UPS and USPS has been lackluster, FedEx conveyed my copy to me here in central Alabama from London, England in astonishingly fast fashion - arriving a day earlier than scheduled.  (Yes, FedEx delivering a book about intrusive surveillance is full of irony.)  Upon opening the package, I found an impressively well crafted tome, just as I would expect from Folio.  It is a top quality example of the bookbinder's art and includes artwork from illustrator La Boca and a forward by Turkish author Elif Shafak.  The book and beautiful barn door slipcase are largely hand crafted in a meticulous fashion, as shown in the video below.  To a book enthusiast like me, this is all an irresistible combination.  The pleasure of fine literature is always enhanced by luxury bookbinding.



No comments:

Post a Comment