Friday, October 20, 2023

Just my type 3

 I have previously featured typewriters in my collection here and here, but today I'd like to show a particularly unique one.  Behold the Roxy micro laptop typewriter.  When closed in its built-in case, it is perhaps the thinnest mechanical writing machine ever made.  My particular copy bears the brand label Roxy, but these machines are more commonly known under the brand name Rooy; the lesser known name Roxy came about as part of a legal copyright battle.  I won't get into the specifics of the machine's design, mostly because I can do no better than this long and detailed description of these amazing machines.  I did travel with this typewriter once on a trip to New York City, back when my wife and I made regular long-weekend trips there to see Broadway plays.  On one of our trips we flew to NY, but then took the Amtrak Crescent train from NYC back to Birmingham.  We booked a sleeper compartment for the overnight trip home, which gave me space to type a few letters while in transit, and even mail them at one of the stops along the way.  Now that's the sort of anachronistic analog living I love so much.




2 comments:

  1. They are so ingenious! Also clanky and janky, but I love them anyway. Blog on. Type on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are curious machine for sure. I’m glad you had a good time with yours.

    ReplyDelete