Monday, January 15, 2024

End of the road

 For several years, I have subscribed to a number of 'zines.  A couple of these are of special interest to me from the standpoint of typography.  They are both "anarchist" 'zines of long, venerable tenure.  To me, they evoke the subversive atmosphere of the radical activist 'zines of the 1960s- produced in basements and distributed on street corners and read in coffee houses.  I have enjoyed subscribing to two of these for at least a decade though their publication track record goes back much further.  And they have things in common- both are produced without computers or any other sort of digital equipment, in the conventional way of printing I learned in my father's print shop in the early 1980s.  One, The Match!, is produced by Fred Woodworth via offset printing methods.  The other, The Cunningham Amendment, is really an art 'zine, produced, as the publisher commonly says, "The R Supward Press: Letterpress Printers of Subversive Ephemera - Salvaged Type - Discarded Inks - Obsolete Machines".  TCA has been published regularly by Peter Good since 1974 (first, as Anarchism Lancastrium), making this the 50th year of publication.  An astonishing accomplishment for a small, one-man operation.  The craftsmanship of TCA is amazing, especially in the digital age.  Multicolor, typeset by hand, and presented on fine paper, it's a joy to hold in one's hands.

Last week, I received the latest copy of TCA, which is always a highlight of my day.  But instantly, it was clear this issue was different.  It was tiny, compared to the standard format.  Only a few pages and hardly larger than a dollar bill.  Well, Peter Good has experimented with interesting formats in the past, I thought.  I read through the issue and absorbed the familiar bits of humor and wisdom, while marveling at the printing.  But then, I reached the last page, and the paragraph shown below.  After 50 years of publication, this was to be the last issue of The Cunningham Amendment.  I was shocked.  Poor health is given as a reason, which isn't a surprise.  In private correspondence, Dr. Good has told me of his weakening health. And sharp eyesight and dexterous fingers are required for typesetting a letterpress page.  But still, I am heartbroken if this is to be the last issue of such a long-lived publication.  I've written well wishes Peter Good, with my deepest thanks for all enjoyment he has given me over the years.  I hope his remaining days are comfortable, peaceful, and proud of his publishing legacy.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment